“The virtues of donations are great, because it helps the needy and at the same time it gives an opportunity to the donor to give the surplus to the people in need ” - Sama Veda

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

PULIKKACHAL

Pulikkachal is a spicy, tangy instant rice mix. It is the paste used for making puliyodharai. This is "Neyar Viruppam" from many friends. This is exclusively pulikkachal preparation.

INGREDIENTS:

  • Tamarind extract – 2 cups
  • Mustard seeds- 1 tsp. 
  • Chenna dal – 1 tsp
  • Dry red chillies – 4 
  • Methi seeds – ½ tsp 
  • Groundnuts- 2 tsp. 
  • Curry leaves - few 
  • Hing 
  • Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp.
  • Gingelly oil -1 cup
  • Salt 

METHOD:

Soak 2 lemon sized balls of tamarind in lukewarm water, extract pulp and keep aside. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat gingelly oil, add all the ingredients except the tamarind extract. When they turn golden brown, add the pulp and stir till it becomes like a paste. This is pulikkachal. This can be stored for 2 to 3 months in a refrigerator. Puliyodharai preparation is here.

Dry roast pepper, red chillies, coriander seeds, chenna dal and methi seeds and powder it in a mixie. This can be stored in an air-tight container.

NOTE: Pulikkachal + the powder mentioned in puliyodharai preparation makes puliyodharai distinct & unique and also enhances the flavour.

30 comments :

  1. Shanthiji,I am drooling rite now!!!This is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite, looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this recipe,i didnt know how to make this one...i ll surely try this when i make puliyodarai

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing,my mom used to make the same way too..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pulikachchal - no words can describe the taste of it. An all time favourite in most of the south indian homes. The pulikachchal looks mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice one madam....yesterday only made this....i learnt this from my friend...will post my version soon....delicious entry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks tempting.. Will try soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice...I love your puliyodharai recipe and as you know I made it once and it came out so good! Authentic Iyengar recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey nice recepi...thynx for sharing...vl try the full recipe now

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so tempting.i too make it in a similar way.All timefav

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks so yummy and very nice click too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice picture of pulikaichal,Its so simple yet flavorful one,i love this like anything!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so yummy and tempting....wow...thanks for sharing the recipe...you are amazing...Kudos

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks absolutely delicious. Nice click....
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful recipe, I love Puliyagarai made with this paste.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow... I love this typical-traditional Iyengar Pulikkachal.. Somehow they taste so different and delicious.. Thank for the recipe Shanthiji!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely, tamarind is such a tempting flavor to me... this must taste amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. very tasty and spicy one... looks very tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Shanthiji, thanks for visiting my page and there by helping ot find yours. you have a great blog here. this dish is new to me but I love anything with Tamarind and the pungent smell of south Indian Masala mix. am sure this gonna be taste bud tickling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. shantiji,

    I make it for a week and store in for handy lunches but how to get that distinct taste of the puliodharai given in temples.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Its new to me...Looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  22. slurp slurp, makes me mouth water, nice recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shanti,
    I love your recipes. On pulikkachal I would like you to try my recipe and let me know your liking. I have always recieved kuddos for this recipe and some have said better than Iyengar pulikkachal:) no seriously. Try it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pulijuuce 2 cup yenral puli neenga yevalavu yeduthinga

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit and valuable comments.