“The virtues of donations are great, because it helps the needy and at the same time it gives an opportunity to the donor to give the surplus to the people in need ” - Sama Veda

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

BADAM HALWA / ALMOND HALWA

I learnt this from vah chef's site. It was quite easy and royale. But we have to be attentive and concentrate fully while making this. I was planning to post this for my blog 's 2nd birthday. But I liked the friendship recipe more than this. Thank you friends, for your wishes on my blog anniversary.

In the recipe of vahchef the badam:sugar ratio was 1:1. But, I have used a badam:sugar ratio of 1: 1 1/4. I felt this was perfect. You can adjust sugar according to your taste. I have numbered the collaged photo and posting in the same numbered order.

NOTE: You can try it with a cup of almond and proportionate ratios of ingredients.


INGREDIENTS:

Badam / Almond - 2 cups
Ghee - 2+2 tablespoons
Sugar - 2 1/2 cup
Boiled milk - less than 1/2 a cup
Saffron - a generous pinch
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp.
Yellow food colour - Optional (I haven't used it)

METHOD:

1. Measure badam & sugar.
2. Soak badam in water for 3 hours.
3. Soaked badam when pressed slightly with your forefinger and index finger, pops out.
4. Peel all the skin of almonds in the same manner.
5. In a mixie, add milk just enough to cover the badam.
6. Grind to a coarse paste (not too fine).
7. In a non-stick pan, add 2 tablespoons of ghee, ground mixture and sugar. When the sugar dissolves, the mixture loosens.
8. Mix well and when it starts to boil add the saffron.
9. Stir continuously.... Non -stop stirring is essential. Add the remaining ghee now.
10. If using food colour add it now. I didn't use it. Mixture starts thickening.
11. When ghee oozes out, add a pinch of cardamom powder. The mixture is not sticking anymore.
12. Transfer it to a bowl. Garnish with saffron strands.

39 comments :

  1. I have not tried this yet,but have ended up as halwa.. when tried burfi :) Looks sinful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If i see badam halwa or hear the word my eyes moisten:-(( my grandfather who is no more, when i was a kid buys this for me every day back from work..i love it so so much will bookmark tis and will def prepare it on his birthday...thanks for the step by step demo..loving it

    Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Badam Halwa looks so yummy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy as well as healthy looking halwa. Marvelous preparation.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow what a delicious and yummy halwa... my mouth is watering here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! I am drooling here.. my sis prepared the same from vah chef and it surely is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. halwa looks so rich and appetising

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rich and delicious halwa..so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. delicious n tempting n rich halwa..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Halwa looks extremely tempting... thnx for sharing the recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  12. i made it today ...too good..will post mine tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  13. hmmmmmmmmm droolworthy and yummilicious badam halwa.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can feel great taste just by reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woww such a droolworthy halwa, soo tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delicious and creamy halwa...tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so decadent and delicious! Very irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  18. HAPPY 2nd ANNIVERSARY!!! This is one of my favorite halwas. The photos are very helpful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks so tempting...Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  20. very tempting shanthiji. never tried any sweets with badam .Will give it a try a soon

    ReplyDelete
  21. so tempting ..will try it soon..thanks a lot for the step wise picture ...

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks for visiting my blog Shanthi. Yummy halwa!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Delicious Halwa, and loved the step wise pics too!, you have done a good job dear

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for visiting my blog. And I love almond halwa. These looks delicious :) Happy Blogiversary too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! SO tempting. Looks perfect. Love to have some.

    ReplyDelete
  26. One of the rich sweets of India. Yummy :) Nice stepwise pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Almond Halva looks yummy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, just came across your blog, wonderful recipes. I tried this today and it came out really yummy. Thanks for the easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit and valuable comments.